Larches High School is committed to regular CPD for all staff as regards Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance. The CEIAG lead within Larches High School is Miss S. Settle, who can be contacted at email@example.com or via the school telephone number.
Careers Education, Information Advice and Guidance
In line with statutory guidance for governing bodies, school leaders and staff all Larches High School pupils receive independent Careers Information and Guidance. Appropriate career guidance is essential if pupils are to raise their aspirations and take advantage of opportunities available to them.
The independent careers guidance provided:
- Is presented in an impartial manner, showing no bias or favouritism towards a particular institution, education or work option
- Includes information on the range of education or training options, including apprenticeships and technical routes
- Is guidance that will promote raised expectations and is in the best interest of the pupils to whom it is given
CEIAG at Larches High School is a progressive journey which starts when the pupil arrives at school.
The aims of the programme are:
- To develop positive attitudes in the pupils towards work and progression
- To develop employability and enterprise skills, such as teamwork and communication
- To help pupils plan and take control of their future making informed choices at key points of their education
- To provide pupils with the relevant careers, information advice and guidance that is suitable to their personal needs
- To provide pupils with a comprehensive understanding of opportunities post 16 including traineeships, apprenticeships and further education
The Good Career Guidance benchmarks were developed in 2013. The Government has subsequently adopted these in the format of the 8 Gatsby Career Benchmarks which Larches High School uses as framework for improving and reviewing careers provision. The Careers Compass assessment tool is completed regularly.
Larches High School is committed to the 8 Gatsby benchmarks of Good Career Guidance
1. A stable careers programme
2. Learning from career and labour market information
3. Addressing the needs of each pupil
4. Linking curriculum learning to careers
5. Encounters with employers and employees
6. Experiences of workplaces
7. Encounters with further and higher education
8. Personal guidance
We have been working closely with our Enterprise Coordinator, Daniel Barry from The Enterprise Advisor Network to develop longer-term programmes with Lancashire County Council through our Enterprise Advisor, Mrs Ridgwell, who has facilitated contact with Preston City Council and South Ribble County Council to develop more opportunities for our pupils.
We have access to many Employers and Providers to ensure our pupils have all the relevant information to make informed post 16 decisions re further education, employment and training.
Larches is a member of the newly formed Lancashire Alternative Provision Community of Practice where all local institutions are working together to share good practice and develop resources to support our learners moving forward to the next step after school.
Annual events at Larches High School will include
- Year 10 and 11 Careers event attended by local post 16 providers and employers
- Year 11 mock interviews delivered by volunteers and mentors from local industry.
- Extended work experience opportunities with local employers
- 1:1 individual guidance for Year 10 and 11 pupils
- Employee engagement opportunities through curriculum delivery
Careers Education and Guidance Programme
All pupils at school have access to independent careers guidance and information about post 16 providers, apprenticeships, training and employment opportunities.
Pupils also have access to employer engagement opportunities both within curriculum areas and additional organised events.
Evaluation and Quality Assurance
Meetings are held with the School Enterprise Link Mr D Barry to ensure that our programme meets all the criteria of the Gatsby Benchmarks and Government Statutory Guidance.
All pupil destinations are collected and then tracked by Larches High School to ensure our pupils remain engaged and achieve.
Careers website links: